Sunday, September 13, 2009

Biography of a dress-Kincaid

Kincaid's way of writing this short story is unusual, but interesting. She talks in what would be, my present- with past and present tenses. Compared to the other readings where the writer's take us on emotional journeys with things like fear, excitement, sorrow, Kincaid talks to us from the point of view of a 2 year old girl, being the past, and from a 43 year old woman, being the present. She mentions often in little descriptions, keeping us in the moment that she did not understand then, and does not understand now. Kincaid also added to my idea of CNF by displaying mother-daughter relationships, the social constraints felt by a young girl coming of age, a sense of dissatisfaction despite surroundings of great beauty, questions of identity, and the merging of real and imaginary worlds. Her way of writing has unquestionably opened my thoughts (what I thought to be) vs what I know to be of CNF.

1 comment:

  1. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. best yoga shorts

    ReplyDelete